Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Night train

After the flash of my last outfit post I thought a trip to Enmore theatre deserved some subdued class, so I headed for my favourite 1950's dress; a gunmetal grey, sailor-style number. It was actually the first "proper" vintage dress I bought, and while in retrospect I paid way too much for it, I still love its classic cut. This dress was probably the one that allowed my love for vintage to grow and grow, because once I took it home, I had the chance to truly appreciate the detail and care that went into every garment back then. The seams are hand-finished, the buttons intricately stitched but most of all the simple lines of the dress fall gracefully and surely. This is what I feel is lacking from most (affordable) clothing these days. Meanwhile, here is my outfit (sorry the pictures are taken on the train)!
Headband - Diva

I adore the velvet buttons on this coat and the quilting around the collar! I feel so glamourous wearing it.

My favourite bag to date; a silver glomesh bag with an unusal clasp. How appropriate next to my flamboyant nails... :P

Dress - 1950's Betty Barclay from Canterbury Vintage fair '10
1920's or 1930's velvet coat - Sydney Antique Centre
Shoes - Vinnies (originally Betts)
Glomesh Bag - Vinnie's (Pennant Hills)
Watch - Canterbury vintage fair '10



Finally I have to add that Stephen K Amos did not disappoint, I was actually crying with laughter at one point! If you have a chance to see him, I'd recommend it.
Hope you enjoyed this post, I'd love to hear about your recent adventures and welcome any suggestions of places to go for day trips or nights out! Please tell me what you think!
Love
xo

6 comments:

w.s said...

THAT COAT IS AMAZING! awww i want it ahahahaha. and that dress has always been one of my favourites. pretty pretty girl.

Sarah said...

Naw thankyou, yes, I love it! In the 1920's and 1930's there were heaps of these coats in all kinds of elaborate rich colours to be worn to operas and the like. I found some in deep purple and red velvet!! Exquisite.

hila said...

you look amazing! I love how you did your hair, is it a difficult hairstyle to do? I also love your hair colour, it's so pretty.

Sarah said...

Thankyou so much! The hair was a bit of a fluke, but surprisingly simple. Probably helped that my hair was a few days old and bulked/freshened up with dry shampoo. Essentially, I twisted my hair at the front, secured with bobby pins and hide them under the headband. The back is just a bun, slightly off-centre and secured with bobby pins. To get the wave-ish bit at the front, I pulled my hair lightly out until it was to my satisfaction and coated the entire thing in hairspray. I'm quite chuffed with how it turned out, I think it's a bit Grace Kelly-esque. And thankyou about the colour, I think the last time I dyed it I used Garnier HerbaShine 550 Mahogany. :) xox

Anonymous said...

So like, where is the katy perry post!

Sarah said...

Hello Anon, the concert is next week, so, like me, you'll have to keep waiting!