Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pleats to meet you!

*laughs at own pun* (because if I don't, who will) Hope your having a great day, here's an outfit from a while back which somehow got lost in the files. Possibly because I wasn't thrilled with the photos... Anyway, without further ado...

Nice autumny colour, don't you think?
Found this little wonder hidden away in storage at my local Vinnie's. I couldn't believe it had been overlooked! While I'm quite new to dating, I estimate it to be a hand-sewn dress from the 1930's - 1940's due to the focus on shoulders and snap closure, but please tell me what you think!
  • There are no tags or labels, the buttons on the back are decortive and cloth-covered which was common in the 1940's.
  • It's lack of a zippers suggests to me that it's from the thirties, as they didn't become widely used until the end of the decade.
  • I think it is bias cut and has a partial lining in the skirt (popular in the thirties).
  • While, the seams are pressed open, with a line of stitching to prevent fraying (common before the 1960's).
I welcome any other research or thoughts you have on dating clothing, or the history of this little dress. This post owes alot of thanks to Melody Fortier's great book "The Little Guide to Vintage Shopping", which has alot of tips for dating garments!
I always love imagining the history a piece of clothing has, wear it's been and who wore it; I think the hidden stories are fascinating. What about you?
Love
xox

2 comments:

Ani said...

I am in love with that dress! the fact i can't have one like it makes me want to cry! damn you vintage one-offs!

-Ani xx

Sarah said...

I completely understand, that's how I feel when looking a Vixen Vintage's clothes!! Maybe one day we could do a dress swap? xo