Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dumplings, lights and Hogwarts

 A day in pictures starts with a 1940's dress bought from the last Canterbury vintage fair
 Then vegetable dumplings from the new Westfield food court, yum!
 Then some light (pun intended) shopping in my favourite building, the Queen Victoria Building. This building was completed in 1898, while Sydney was in a severe recession. The Romanesque architecture was intentionally elaborate to give out-of-work craftsmen much needed jobs.
Beautiful on its own, at Christmas, another delight is added! A 24-metre Christmas tree adorned with 144,000 Swarovski crystals and 60,000 lights. Click here to watch a video of it's construction!



 Three stories of beauty!
Then.... Harry Potter!!
Being quite the Potter-nerd, the exhibition was a must-see at the Powerhouse Museum. Do you recognise this flying car?
Inside it was a lot of fun! For an hour, it felt like I had stepped into Hogwarts and with so much to see, I found myself swooning over the many costumes multiple times (anyone remember Fleur's Beauxbaton's uniform? It was a firm favourite). My only complaint was the lack of information, not on the books or film plots but on the styling. As the exhibit was catered towards children as an "experience" it excluded most (if not all) behind-the-scenes information (such as sketches, set designs or costume explanations). Your knowledge on construction was limited to a few throw-away comments in the audio tour. Here were all these stunning costumes and magical beasts, but without a simple note on what they were made of, let alone how! Personally, I found this really disappointing. As an aficionado I do not need to hear (again) about what a house-elf is or who Voldemort was, but I did long to learn about their inspirations or how many hours it took to paint the life-sized portrait of Lockhart. Basically, it's not because I didn't enjoy the exhibition, I did, I just thought it could have been so much better. 
Rant over.
The day finished with more museum time and a new episode of Sherlock!



Thank you for reading!
What do you think of the QVB? Have you got a favourite Sydney building? Have you been to the Harry Potter exhibition?
Love
x

8 comments:

Mabel said...

Oh my, I love your dress, you look so pretty! I don't have a favorite Sydney building because I've never been there! But it looks lovely :)

Mabel
Mabel Time

ravishingretro.com said...

Ooh, what a positively divine dress! I'm also very fond of the QVB, especially at night when it's a little bit eerie. I also have a soft spot for the original David Jones building, and the Grace Hotel near Wynyard in all its gothic splendour.

Potentially see you soon, if we ever work out an Old Hat date :)

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

*swoons* LOVE the dress, hair, shoes. You are one stylish lady.

x

w.s said...

sooooooo pretty as always :) i love this dress! you make me smile :D

Sarah said...

I absolutely love that dress! Looks like you've had a great time. (:

http://adreaminblackandwhite.blogspot.com

Amber Rose, Laughing With Broken Eyes said...

Seems like quite the productive day!! You look beautiful!

I'm turning into quite the Potter-fanatic myself. A bit late to the party, but better late than never! Last night, the girl I was babysitting and I both tried to cook our way through the Unofficial HP Cookbook. It didn't end well! :)

Q's Daydream said...

That dress and entire outfit are perfection!

ConstantlyAlice said...

That dress is stunning! (And I absolutely love that you paired it with Saddle shoes. So cute ;)