Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Artist

Thank you to everyone who commented on my last post, I really appreciate all your kind words as well as simply knowing I am not alone when it comes to social awkwardness. Meanwhile...

Perhaps the title gives it away, but last week I saw The Artist and was blown away. I haven't really been captivated by a film for many years, but The Artist caught me in its web and left my dangling on multiple strands of thought for many days after. Not only is the film simply beautiful to watch, the plot is inspiring, the characters heart-warming and the whole experience, amazing. I cannot recommend it enough.

To top it off, I was lucky enough to see it in the beautiful Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace.
The cinema is began life in 1935 as "Sydney’s only suburban city movie theatre" able to screen both film and live drama productions. Complete with dressing rooms and an orchestra pit, it even held host to the Australian ballet at one time!

Unfortunately, it fell into decay and, after being bought by property developers, was ripped apart to make room for a shopping arcade...

That was until 1986 when one man, Mike Walsh O.B.E.
decided to buy and restore the Orpheum to it's former glory!
 Today, it is a completely unique cinema honouring Art Deco style, and in all honesty, my photos do not do it justice. Take a look below or even better, see it in person!

Thank you to the Orpheum website for all the information on its history.

Street entrance
In the lobby
The box office

Sorry about the blur, this photo was meant to be mostly about the charming chap to the right but unfortunately my camera deleted every other outfit photo from the night, so this is all I have to show! However, if you want some more pictures of the dress, have a look here and here! Just imagine it without the belt and with long black suede gloves instead! (Less 1980's more 1940's)

Inside the cinema
Yep, a red velvet curtain and...
We were even lucky enough to enjoy a little organ serenade pre-show!!!

What an amazing night!
Have you seen The Artist? Or are there any other movies you've seen lately that you adore?
Love
x




6 comments:

Harlow Darling said...

I saw The Artist a few weeks ago and still think about it at least once a day! I don't usually go to the movies as moronic block busters aren't my thing, so the fact that they made The Artist is such a treat. Wasn't Uggie the dog swell? I study film production so seeing that such a low budget film like The Artist did so well at the box office makes me a little hopeful for the future of cinema... it was so refreshing to see a film without pouting silicon bimbos and plots full of holes.

The cinema looks gorgeous, I'm so glad that there are people out there who understand the importance of restoring such landmark buildings. There are two very beautiful cinemas where I live, one with 20s and one with 40s decore, but both are struggling financially...which is so sad! This is because they don't play mind numbing rubbish films of course, so the general population isn't interested in seeing films there...

Anyway sorry for such a long comment! I do want to say though that you look incredible, red is such a gorgeous colour on you. And, as always, your hair looks fantastic :)

Up Toon Girl said...

What a beautiful cinema! I saw The Artist at the Tyneside Cinema, which is also an Art Deco cinema saved at the 11th hour. I'm so grateful to the people who had the foresight to try and preserve all these fantastic buildings before they were lost.

Your hair looks gorgeous, as ever!

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

That cinema is amazing! I HAVE to see The Artist and ... Marilyn.

You look beautiful, as always.

x

Mabel said...

You look gorgeous!!! The Artist never came around town, so I never saw it. But I wanted to! Your theatre is so pretty!

Mabel
Mabel Time

Miss Maple said...

I would like to see "The Artist" too but it never came to our town. But I saw Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" and I liked it very much.

Johnny and June said...

Your ensemble is utter perfection!!! And the Artist! What can I say! Best film of my year so far!