Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hinky Dinks

Ahoy-hoy!
In the last few weeks, I've been treated to some absolutely wonderful cocktails from the delightfully named Hinky Dinks!
A small cocktail bar situated in Darlinghurst (a quick walk away from the stick-floor side of Kings Cross), Hinky Dinks is all about 1950's fun. From its mint green walls with customary flying ducks to the plush leather couches and atomic bar stools, it is fresh (in a nostalgic way), but friendly.


Certainly, what I enjoyed a lot about Hinky Dinks was the atmosphere. When you walk in, you are greeted with free paprika popcorn and a smile. When you have a question, the staff are more than happy to answer it (even if you are a cocktail novice who's only desire is for "something sweet").Throughout the night, the bartender consistently checks up on you retopping your water, removing dirty plates and taking new orders. (No queuing at the bar here!)
What I found really sweet was the fact that the staff remembered me from a previous visit several weeks prior, even taking guesses at what I ordered. This thrills me because perhaps in a few visits time I will have the chance to simply swagger in and ask for "the usual" (whatever that is!).

Now onto the drinks...
 
I ordered a Cherry-black spider which is described as Bacardi 8, fresh lime, in-house popcorn & vanilla syrup, Cherry cola, vanilla bean ice-cream float, served in a tall glass.


Excuse the over-exposed photo it's my poor old camera struggling in the light. But note the cute complimentary popcorn!

The Cherry-black spider is a great drink to savour alone, it was sweet enough to satisfy my sugar-craving but with a nice rum kick.

Then onto the Gin 'n' Jam oh, the Gin 'n' Jam... a clear favourite made of Bombay Sapphire, Aperol, in-house rose-petal jam, fresh lemon, cranberry bitters, egg whites.


It really is a beautiful drink; a delightful peachy-pink with a smooth white foam topped with dried rose-petals. I think what made me enjoy this drink so much was that drinking it felt so... feminine. So sweet from the floral jam, but seductive after the lemon and bitters gave it that slight edge. Yum!

On my second visit, torn between reaccquainting my love with the Gin 'n' Jam or sampling the plentiful menu, I asked for a recommendation and was hit with the super satisfying Hotel Georgia which consists of Bombay Sapphire, fresh lemon, almond syrup, orange blossom, freshly grated nutmeg.
Apparently this drink came right out of the 1950's from, you guessed it, Hotel Georgia. Perfect for a beginning a winter's night out, it was refreshing but really smooth. The nutmeg ontop made the whole drink seem like a comforting stroll through the alpine.


My Hotel Georgia and Renata's Hinky Fizz!

 The lovely Renata from Hepcat Vintage

On the downside, it is a little costly. The drinks average $18 and bar snacks sit around the $10.
While the food is good, it is nothing to write home about. My pick is the Three cheese arancini ($12). Also, they don't split bills so make sure you have enough cash handy to pay your share.

Overall, I'm happy to say Hinky Dinks does not disappoint. Hinky Dinks gives you exactly what you would expect from its name: a place that is a bit quirky, a bit sweet but also a whole lot of fun!

For more information check out Hinky Dinks website or Timeout Sydney's review.

Have you been anywhere wonderful lately?
xox

7 comments:

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

Alchohol and ice-cream? *gags* Mind, I don't drink at all anyway...

What a bloody gorgeous place. I'll have a latte, thanks.

xxx

Harlow Darling said...

Sounds and looks really amazing, I wish they had something like this in Brisbane!

Emma Litton said...

Ohh this sounds like a spot I would visit often! It looks and sounds wonderful. I wish we had some place like this in Nashville.

xo,
Em

ConstantlyAlice said...

How cute! And what a fantastic name. It's just fun to say ;-)

Janey said...

This places looks absolutely delightful!! And looks like you had a swell time!

xoxo
-Janey
atomicredhead.com

Jessica Cangiano said...

What a thoroughly cool spot! Though I don't drink, I'd happily sit there and nurse a virgin cocktail all evening just to surround myself with such awesome decor.

♥ Jessica

Charmaine said...

What a charming haunt! If I am ever in Sydney I shall give it a visit.

Charmaine x