Monday, November 5, 2012

two-two


Ahoy-hoy!
Thank you for all your kind comments over the past few months. Last week I handed in my thesis, attended a Cavalcade vintage fashion presentation and turned twenty-two! I'd love to write more about the Cavalcade (it really deserves its own post!) and show you more photos but unfortunately my computer has crashed and I have one last essay to write. Instead I'll leave you with these two photos I did manage to save and upload.
This is what I wore on my birthday to the Cavalcade presentation on "The Art of the Cut: 1930's evening gowns". It is a late 1930's or early 1940's lace illusion gown. Not only is it black lace (swoon) but it features the most amazing exaggerated hips. With drapes like those it's near impossible not to strut. 
We found this beautiful car, by complete chance, parked in a nearby street and decided to take advantage of the perfect photo opportunity. I'm not sure what the owner must have thought...
 
I'm holding a birthday present (from me to me...) an Elgin powder compact. The front features silhouettes from different fashion eras, from Egyptian to Victorian, as well as a 1920's Flapper! I think it is from the late 40's or early 50's as the etching on the front doesn't show the typical Dior new look (presumably because it hasn't been seen yet). Coincidentally, after I bought the compact I read this Dita Von Teese interview via pocketvenus and if you have a look at the sixth photo... ta-da!! Not too shabby! (Also, let's all have a collective sigh at the beauty of Dita's home!)
I'd love to learn more about this compact, so if anyone has any information or knowledge on vintage compacts, please let me know in the comments below!
Love
x

26 comments:

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

Happy belated birthday, you look utterly glorious from top to toe! Your frock is truly a work of art - absolutely beautiful and that car was just waiting for you:). The compact looks like it's got a decent-sized mirror for vital preening:)).

Brianna M Headley said...

I don't know much about compacts but I do know Dior's New Look collection debuted in 1947.

Sarah said...

@Pull your socks up, thank you for teh birthday wishes :) Also, the compact is rather large! I was so surprised when I first got it and it certainly makes a statement!
@Brianna, good point! It was sold to me as a 1950's compact (I think) and I figured it could still be from teh 50's, since the new look would take a while to filter down to the production of compacts. Thanks for your insight :) x

Esz said...

Oh my that dress is 100% classic 40's glamour.
Beautiful!

You must post a tute on how you get your hair like that!(if you havent already). I still can't get mine to behave!

Sarah said...

Hey Esz,
Thank you for commenting on my blog! I posted about how I style my hair here http://thechroniclesofaneccentric.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/short-hair-set.html
and here
http://thechroniclesofaneccentric.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/faq-haircut.html

Hope this helps :)
xox

Adele said...

You look the spits of Dita here! That dress is a dream. Where did you find such a beauty? Congratulations on your thesis/presentation/turning 22!
x

Charmaine said...

Girlfriend! Stunning as always; you are looking very Dita Von Teese here!

Hollie said...

you look so beautiful! and that dress is to die for! xx

Jessica Cangiano said...

Seriously, completely gorgeous outfit! I know you must hear it all the time, but it is amazing how much you look like Dita. You're pretty much her doppelganger here, dear gal.

♥ Jessica

Renata H said...

Ooohh a very happy happy birthday Sarah! And congratulations on your thesis hand up, you must feel very proud indeed :) I loved this dress when you wore it to Michelle's shindig, it is absolutely perfect on you. Dita to the max!
xx

Janey said...

This dress! It's simply too much!! It's just stunning! Absolutely amazing!!!

xoxo
-Janet

HRF said...

That dress is absolutely stunning. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, you really do look so much like Dita. It is uncanny.

AngeliqueDama said...

You look fabulous! Wonderful make up!
Kisses

Emalina said...

Oh wow I absolutely love your outfit! You look stunning. You have your newest follower here....

I've recently started my own vintage blog, about the clothes designed by my couturier granny in the 1930s-50s plus others unique vintage pieces. Do pop by to have a look sometime :)

Emalina
www.kikiandthegypsy.blogspot.co.uk

Tasha said...

My sincerest congrats in handing in your thesis! What an utterly gorgeous photo of you with the car. Stunning dress, I want to see those hips closer up, wow, what details!

Nicolette Hegyes said...

Miss Sarah, you never cease to amaze.

I'm in utter admiration of you, always!

Lots of love;
Nicolette xox

elev1109 said...

Dearest sare bear,
I'm sorry i've been lacking on here lately, but that dress is amazing. ah.mazing! I still love your wardrobe, even if I could never hope to pull it off as you do...
Wish I could've helped you celebrate in style. but soon dearest!
xxxx
Miss you!

Kati said...

Wow, gorgeous pictures! Just discovered your blog and enjoy reading it so much!
-Kati

Anonymous said...

You look lovely! Doesn't Hayworth's Gilda wear a dress with similar hip pleating detail?

Ooh, and by the way, what did you write a thesis on?

Piroska said...

Happy Birthday! You look so beautiful, that dress is really something. How exciting to have the same compact as Dita, close-up photos soon please!

Kailey said...

Oooh what a stunning dress! Also, I hope you had an absolutely incredible birthday <3

Kathryn said...

What an amazing dress! :)

PS: I hope your exam went well.

Gabrielle said...

Your Elgin compact is definitely from the 40s. Great find! I own the same exact one. I am looking to have my initials inscribed in the center circle. I love little details like that. Vintage is always the way to go when it comes to compacts. People back in the day used such artistry when it came to everyday things.

norafinds said...

OMG glad to have found your blog via Candice's post on FB! I love love love your style! You are one of the most gorgeous vintage ladies around! You have this amazing 40s-50s Hollywood seductress aura! Grah this outfit is so amazing as well!! Jealous!

Nora
NoraFinds

Circus Girl (Zoƫ) said...

What a gorgeous dress sweetpea! :) x

abby @ tea with the moon said...

It's so fun to look at all your glamorous pictures :D I agree with Circus Girl, that dress is lovely. <3