Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Hawk Walk


I've always been an avid animal fan. In my imaginary-dead-or-alive-celebrity dinner parties, Sir David Attenborough sits at the head of the table. So when I was investigating things to do in Bath, I couldn't go past the West of England Falconry Hawk Walk.
Worth it for the view of British countryside alone, the hawk walk was an excellent introduction to falconry. Surprisingly simple, it just the practice of letting the bird fly to the trees before returning to you, like a living boomerang! My bird for the day was Charlie the Harris Hawk, who was beautiful, playful but also surprisingly gentle. There are few things more stunning than watching a hawk circle the trees and then soar into your hands...or onto your shoulders... or on your head... 
A word to the wise, though I'd loved to have been decked out in tweed and tights, you will be called to walk through thickets and thistles, so it's best to wear some sturdy clothes and shoes. Also, you tempt the birds back to you with meaty treats, so just be aware of that if you are squeamish.
This was one of the highlights of my time in England, I thoroughly recommend it anyone.




And no, Charlie did not bite my finger.

3 comments:

Brooke F said...

What an amazing experience! Charlie is magnificent but also a bit scary.

Anonymous said...

Charlie bit my finger!! Going to have to watch that again now...

Jessica Cangiano said...

What a thoroughly fantastic experience that must have been! I've long adored that the ancient art of falconry is still with us in the 21st century.

♥ Jessica